Monday, March 3, 2008

Inspiration for What?

The closer I get to teaching school, the more the reality looms ahead: I will be responsible for engaging 30+ pre-teens/teenagers in learning for 50-90 minutes, 5-6 times a day!! I will need INSPIRATION!

There are lots of definitions for inspiration. Here are some I found on dictionary.com:

in·spi·ra·tion (ĭn'spə-rā'shən) n.
American Heritage Dictionary
1. Stimulation of the mind or emotions to a high level of feeling or activity.
2. The condition of being so stimulated.
3. An agency, such as a person or work of art, that moves the intellect or emotions or prompts action or invention.
4. Something, such as a sudden creative act or idea, that is inspired.
5. The quality of inspiring or exalting: a painting full of inspiration.
6. Divine guidance or influence exerted directly on the mind and soul of humankind.
7. The act of drawing in, especially the inhalation of air into the lungs.

Here are some other ideas from WordNet :

1. arousal of the mind to special unusual activity or creativity
2. a product of your creative thinking and work; "he had little respect for the inspirations of other artists"; "after years of work his brainchild was a tangible reality"
3. a sudden intuition as part of solving a problem

This is exactly what teachers need--fresh ideas, problem solving, creativity, energy, help from God, and good breathing techniques!

So, hopefully this blog will help me and other teachers out there find some inspiration.

2 comments:

KaRynn Sheranian said...

"3. An agency, such as a person or work of art, that moves the intellect or emotions or prompts action or invention."---this is my favorite definition of inspiration. Although you were using it to explain what different types of inspiration are while speaking of needing inspiration to teach, this is also the type of inspiration that will help them learn. And even though that seems a simple statement and kind of obvious, well, it's true!

Anne said...

My favorite definition of inspiration is: "The quality of inspiring or exalting: a painting full of inspiration". I found the teachers I learned more from in school, were those that were able help me visual see what they were teaching. Of course, that is my stype of learning but I think it is important. Love the site Sarah!